Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Power of Perplexity

With 2 weeks of the new school year already complete, I already find myself trying to catch up with the lesson planning/grading for tomorrow's lesson!  Taking advice from Liz's previous post, I decided to take a minute to breathe.  However, during my short break (in the midst of my half graded papers), I stumbled across a quote that I hope to use to frame my goals for this year.  I have John Dewey to credit for these insightful words:

"The best, indeed the only preparation [for learning] is arousal to a perception of something that needs explanation, something unexpected, puzzling, peculiar. When the feeling of a genuine perplexity lays hold of any mind (no matter how the feeling arises), that mind is alert and inquiring. "

For some reason, the "scrambling" sensation I get when trying to revise a lesson that just doesn't seem right was put at ease when I realized what advice John Dewey was imparting.  As long as I try to introduce scenarios (no matter how big or small) that will spark a question or moment of curiosity within my students, I will have benefitted my students for the day! Even if this moment lasts just a few seconds, it could be the catalyst for a question, a reason for my students to stay engaged or collaborate with others in hopes of finding an answer.  I think one of the main reasons I find teaching so fun is that I never quite know exactly when, why, or how these moments of perplexity will take place. I can envision random sparks in different colors firing off throughout my classroom, representative of unique moments of perplexity for each student.


Perplexity can be scary; the fear of the unknown definitely intimidates me as a teacher.  However, I strongly believe these fears can quickly be replaced with excitement and anticipation if I take the time to celebrate my students' moments of perplexity.  My goals for this year include allowing my students opportunities to pursue and resolve their moments of perplexity with collaborative investigation. With the strength and encouragement of our classroom communities, I am confident my students will find joy in "not knowing" because of the journey they will take "to discover".

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more Kristy. By keeping our students questioning and thinking we are preparing them for a future as life long learners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here here! I so agree with the idea of providing and crafting opportunities for our students that allow them to be curious and explore. This is how we learned as children. Today, students need to develop the skills of questioning, investigating, collaborating, and designing. By being open to perplexity, you are encouraging your students to exercise their critical thinking skills and be creative problem solvers. What a gift you are! You know that I am always here to cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Beyond the Microscope by The Energetic Eight is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at http://ndbscience.blogspot.com/.